Does your passion for Jane Austen’s masterpieces overflow? Do you ardently admire and love Pride and Prejudice and never wish to be parted from it from this day forward? Then definitely check out these ten relatable Austenite signs.
1. You take being called a “handsome woman” as a compliment
After watching and reading so many Austen books your vocabulary has adapted to the wonderful language of Regency England. You live in a world filled with handsome women and agreeable suitors.
2. You categorize suitors into categories: “Wickhams” “Collins” and “Darcies”
It’s a truth universally acknowledged if you’ve encountered too many Wickhams and Collins in the dating world, your Mr. Darcy must be just around the corner. Or perhaps he’s over a grass covered hill in the early morning mist wondering when you’ll have spontaneous insomnia and go for a early morning walk.
3. You’ve read all Austen’s books
Your love of Austen may have all started off when first watching Colin Firth’s Mr Darcy, but your Austen obsession has descended into the serious business of actually reading her books.
4. You wish you lived in Regency times despite the bad hygiene
You day dream about being transported back in time to live in Austen’s world. Admittedly you sneak your toothbrush back in time too as part of this day dream.
5. You feel elegant in empire waisted dresses instead of pregnant
Yes, in today’s modern society, empire-waisted dresses live in the maternity section of Target. However, nothing makes you feel nobler than a raised waistline.
6. As an Austenite you have unrealistically high expectations of men
Are all the great men fictional or just trapped a few hundred years back in time? Will we ever know for sure?
The Ultimate Gift Guide for Book Lovers
7. You think all Austen movie adaptations should be five hours long
The longer the movie, the longer you can live in the rolling hills of the English countryside. Though, perhaps ten hour adaptations would be even better…
8. You have book crush on an Austen Hero other than Mr Darcy
Mr. Darcy is great, but you know who else is great? Henry Tilney. Captain Wentworth. Colonel Brandon. The list goes on. Really, there’s so many great Austen men that it’s incredibly hard to choose just one. Is it okay to a book boyfriend per Jane Austen novel?
9. You wish country dances would come back in style
You wish you could break a move in a more dignified, structured way where everyone looks equally elegant or ridiculous together.
10. You can’t understand why everyone else doesn’t love Austen as much as you do
Everyone should love Jane Austen. It’s unthinkable not too. And when you do find someone with excellent taste in literature by being a dedicated Austenite, you feel a special connection with them.
Love Classic Literature and History?
I answer modern-day questions about classic literature liked “Why is Mr. Darcy So Rich?” over on my Youtube channel. Check out my latest videos to learn about the culture and history behind your favorite stories.